Super Falcons Out of France 2019, Lose 3-0 To Germany

Two-time FIFA Women’s World Cup winners and current Olympic champions Germany beat African champions, the Super Falcons of Nigeria, 3-0 in Saturday’s Round of 16 clash of France 2019 at the Stade des Alpes, Gronoble, reports.

It was spirited early exchanges by both sides in the first 10 minutes, but it was Germany that came closest to scoring in the 6th minute but Osinachi Ohale hurled her body in the path of the goal-bound ball to deny Lina Magull.

Germany captain Alexandra Popp netted the curtain-raiser in the 20th minute, nodding home off a corner kick. Japanese referee, Yamashita Yoshimi, consulted the VAR to verify the goal.


Germany won a penalty in the 25th minute after Evelyn Nwabuoku caught the leg of Magull as she miskicked in an attempt to frantically make a clearance. The referee made the penalty call after again consulting the VAR.

Sara Daebritz beat Chiamaka Nnadozie from the spot kick to double Germany’s lead in the 27th minute.

Desire Oparanozie could only earn a corner in the 45th in attempting to connect a hopeful pass from the effervescent Francisca Ordega.


And just before Yamashita Yoshimi whistled for the recess, she had to consult the VAR to confirm that German player hadn’t handled the ball inside the box while under close challenge by Uchenna Kanu.

Rasheedat Ajibade replaced Nwabuoku in the 46th minute, and soon contrived a brilliant chance for the Super Falcons.

But Oparanonzie missed that remarkable 49th minute scoring chance after Ajibade ran the German defence ragged on the left before crossing brilliantly to the captain.

Super Falcons, with quite a massive support from the Stade des Alpes spectators, fought resiliently as the second period wore on, but a third German goal killed their comeback hopes.

Chinaza Uchendu replaced the injured Chinwendu Ihezuo in the 74th minute

Lea Schueller pounced on poor communication in Nigeria defence to score Germany’s third goal in the 82nd minute

Alice Ogebe replaced Uchenna KANU in the 84th minute as Thomas Dennerby’s ladies battled on to avoid conceding more goals.

Source link

Leave a Reply