R Kelly pleads not guilty to 11 additional sex charges | Ents & Arts News




R Kelly has appeared in court to plead not guilty to 11 charges of sexual abuse, including four counts that carry a maximum prison sentence of 30 years.

The singer stood with his hands folded in front of him during the short hearing at Cook County court in Chicago.

After the appearance on Thursday, his defence attorney Steve Greenberg said: “It’s tough. Everything is against him.”

R. Kelly pleads not guilty to a new indictment before Judge Lawrence Flood at Leighton Criminal Court Building in Chicago on June 6, 2019. - R&B star R. Kelly pleaded not guilty Thursday in a Chicago courtroom to 11 new felony sex crime charges. The charges were a refiling of one of the four cases of alleged abuse that prosecutors lodged against the singer earlier this year. (Photo by E. Jason Wambsgans / POOL / AFP) (Photo credit should read E. JASON WAMBSGANS/AFP/Getty Images)
Image:
The singer appeared in court in Chicago

The new charges come on top of the 10 counts Kelly was originally charged with in February, but relate to one of the same women.

They include four counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault, which carry the maximum 30-year sentence.

When Judge Lawrence Flood asked if the singer understood the charges, he replied: “Yes, sir.”

He then left the court without speaking to reporters.

Singer R. Kelly leaves the Leighton Criminal Courthouse on June 06, 2019 in Chicago, Illinois. The singer appeared in front of a judge to face new charges of criminal sexual abuse. (Photo by Nuccio DiNuzzo/Getty Images)
Image:
Kelly’s spokesman told reporters that the singer is ‘upbeat’

Mr Greenberg said afterwards that he did not want to speculate as to why prosecutors brought the new charges.

“It’s the same case. It’s just that they’ve just changed what they’ve charged him with,” Greenberg said. “It’s the same facts… the same bond, the same evidence. We expect the same result.”

Kelly’s spokesman Darryll Johnson told reporters that the singer is “upbeat”.

“Initially, he was a little depressed,” Johnson said. “But I mean, with anything, if someone accuses you of something, you’ll be depressed. He knows the truth.”

According to the new indictment, the first eight counts are from encounters that allegedly occurred in January 2010. Three others pertain to alleged encounters between 1 May 2009 and 31 January 2010.

A further hearing has been scheduled for 26 June.

Source link

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply