Pep Guardiola refuses to be drawn in on Manchester City’s potential transfer ban but insists his squad are good enough to cope should it happen
- Manchester City could be handed a transfer ban by FIFA in the coming days
- FIFA are investigating the Premier League champions over transfers of minors
- However, Pep Guardiola believes City are capable of withstanding potential ban
- Chelsea were slapped with a two-window transfer suspension last month
Pep Guardiola believes Manchester City are capable of withstanding a potential transfer ban.
Chelsea were slapped with a two-window suspension last month and City are thought to be in line for similar punishment.
Pep Guardiola believes Manchester City are capable of withstanding a potential transfer ban
‘It (the squad) is good,’ Guardiola said. ‘It’s really good. I answered lots of questions about that last week. I’m not even the right guy.
‘The club says and they do it. They don’t call me to tell me. I’m (only) concerned about what I have to do in my job. I’m very clear: the club made a statement. That’s all.’
Asked if he thinks they can cope without the ability to sign new players, Guardiola replied: ‘Of course, of course.’
FIFA are investigating whether City have breached any rules over the transfer of youngsters
City go to Swansea in the FA Cup quarter-finals on Saturday without Vincent Kompany, John Stones, Fernandinho and Kevin De Bruyne.
Stones has been called up for England’s fixtures but Guardiola suggested the central defender will not link up with Gareth Southgate’s side.
‘John Stones was on the bench (against Schalke) but is not ready to play. Not today and not even tomorrow,’ Guardiola added. ‘He’s still recovering and won’t even play in the national team.’