The letter from by the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) to the federal government on the possible extension of lockdown in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Lagos and Ogun states contains no threat, Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Mr Boss Mustapha, said on Thursday.
The SGF, who is also the chairman of Presidential Task Force on the Control of COVID-19 pandemic, said the during daily press briefing in Abuja.
He said the federal government had been progressing with the fight against spread of COVID-19 in the country in constant communication with the NLC.”There’s no threat from Labour. As matter of fact, the reason why I was slightly late to this press conference was because the President of the NLC, Comrade Ayuba Waba was with me. He had written a letter, quite alright.
“He was also in the same manner, suggesting ways, you know they represent the working class, they also listen to what is happening, they see what is happening in different climes. Ayuba Waba is not only the President of NLC, he’s also the International President of the Labour Movement.
“I believe that he’s consulting all over the world, listening to his workers in different countries and also taking experiences of how other nations are dealing with the lockdown because the entire world is on a lockdown. Some who had the infection earlier are beginning to ease out the lockdown, as they have succeeded in flattening the curve and they begin to move into bringing their nations back into productive sessions and also getting their systems back into life.
“So there’s no threat from Labour, we are consulting with them. They have opinions that they share with us and at every step of what we have done thus far, we have kept contact with the working class, to ensure that at least, their views are adequately taken,” he said.