A 12-year-old boy has had a trampoline spring embedded into his back in a freak accident while playing with friends.
Jamie Quinlan, from Louth in Lincolnshire, was bouncing on a friend’s trampoline at the weekend when the spring broke off and became embedded two inches (5cm) in his back.
He collapsed in intense shock and pain, before his dad Ian was called.
Jamie was rushed to Sheffield Children’s Hospital for emergency surgery where doctors removed the spring under a local anaesthetic.
Jamie said: “When I was in the waiting room there, I was really nervous. It took them about 10 minutes to actually get the spring out of my back.
“The doctors said they had never heard of something like this happening with a trampoline.”
Ian Quinlan, 62, said his “heart dropped, [and] sank down to my knees” when he saw the accident, calling it “very, very scary”.
“It could’ve been his neck or his head so we were very, very lucky. Very lucky indeed and thank our lucky stars it wasn’t more serious,” he added.
Jamie said the spring was “so heavy” and added he could not believe “I’ve been through all this… It must be rarer than a lightning strike… I was lucky that the hook actually broke off or it could’ve been a lot worse”.
The schoolboy said he had been playing in his friend’s garden with several other children when he came up with the idea of all of them jumping on the trampoline at the same time.
He said he had no idea the spring had ripped through his T-shirt and was lodged in his back.
“All my friends looked shocked,” he said.
Mr Quinlan urged other parents to be vigilant after the freak accident.
“Because they all bounced at once, the trampoline went very low and the spring came away.”